Thursday

Mystery loves Company

         I find myself, more often than not, as to the veil that has been placed over the culture of wine drinking.  It is with that statement, or perhaps the commanding social magnetism therein, that I pose my latest theoretical tirade.  I believe, and those of us who are fortunate enough to work our daily lives surrounded by wine follow me on this, that wine is made hard to grasp by those who believe it is simply a hobby.  Following that statement, those that treat it like a culture, a pietry dish-like community wherein we all grow with our likes/dislikes; a shared hedonism that creates what I believe to be an inherently humanistic passion.
         What am I saying?  What's the best pairing for food?  Companionship, period.  I realize that here at the Daily Wine Buzz that I take a very solo-istic approach to 'learning' about wine; but I have to emphasize that wine appreciation that takes on a tone of isolationism is at it's heart is just wrong.  Wine Enthusiasm isn't about saving a bottle to savor alone, because passion arises from the ability to communicate enthusiasm; a collective teeth clacking, lip smacking reverence that begins at the first blessed sip.
         Don't associate this article with monetary labeling either, your $20 dollar bottle could easily be a 'share worthy' wine should you deem it to be.  I love Chapoutier's ventures in the inexpensive Samouren Rouge market; a byproduct of both my miser-like siblings and my overzealous fruit driven pallette(should that occasion arise).  I think Chile makes amazingly sensual fruit, while still practicalizing the budget therein.  Montes makes wines all over the price-scale; I will say, however, that a finer $60 dollar buy is nearly impossible against their 'Purple Angel'.  A blend of Carmenere and Petit Verdot(it does change vintage to vintage) this stellar, muscular red is both a blend of ripe berry fruit and winding, vegetative spice.  I decanted it for an hour and it was still as austere as any wines being produced in Northern California.  Did I share it?  With my family and my friends.
          Love wine, but more importantly love your passion.  This blog is a personal passion of mine, and as a result have become accustomed to indulging in both sharing and caring(no I'm not the Lionheart of the Wine world...yet).  A good friend and wine drinker, Doug King, convinced me to write this article as a means to express what I deemed rhetorical; excitement.  Get excited about having people who can share it with you, and more importantly, find more.  I love my mother(yes I am a "momma's boy"), and I revel in the fact that I can share nearly every cherished bottle in my humble 'cellar'.  As a result, she has branched out and begun sharing her prized bottles with her incredibly diverse social network.  
            The only way to understand the complicated and sometimes confusing universe of the fermented grape is to hear it from a knowledgeable source.  Be humble, and remember they aren't necessarily smarter than you, they just heard it from someone else.  Wine Teachers, be humble too, don't scare them off by confusing passion for power.  Wine Hoggers, you know who you are, and cut it out.  If I have a bottle open at the bar sometime, and you see me, don't ever hesitate to ask for a pour.  I love to share wine the same way I love to share my breath, in heavy doses with a smile.  
           Thank you again all you Buzz-ers, I love you all for supporting my passion, and will continue to fill your glasses and screens as long as you'll have me.  
                 Cam

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advertisement about "mom". Let me say that my "incredibly diverse social network" is eternally grateful that you and I share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true - so you. Of all the people I've known you have been the most generous and passionate. Incidentaly, you don't have to bring wine every time you visit us on the lake (but it sure is nice isn't it?). Thanks!

    Yours truly - Not the "Miser-like Sibling," Stacy (it isn't ME, right?!)

    ReplyDelete