Tuesday

Heres looking at you, Chris..

This is an article that I find needs to be addressed, not only from this writers point of view but of my very good friend Chris, so, as it is his birthday here we go:  YOU DON'T TASTE WINE IN A RESTAURANT PRIOR TO POURING IT, TO FIGURE OUT IF YOU LIKE IT!!!!
Listen, I appreciate that you know what it means when a wine is corked; it's a buzz phrase that is as pervasive 'overly tannic', an association that I mention only because often the source is unnaware of what they are actually implying.  Trichloroanisole(TCA), the chemical compound responsible for tainting the wine, has effectively contaminated the cork and thereby ruined it.  The final product is something that smells like wet newspapers and that cardboard you swear one day you'll remove from under your front porch.  It's a fact of life, and it happens to more wines than you would think, so nothing is wrong the the establishment that provided sed bottle.  
If you encounter a 'corked bottle' or you think you do(that's what us wine stewards are for) then by all means send it back.  We don't like to serve you something inherently faulty, and unlike sending back a steak, will take great pride in fixing your experience.  Here's where the problem arises:  You don't taste the bottle to see if you LIKE IT!  The purpose of sniffing your vino is to make sure it's not "off", not good.  Most wines that you spend decent 'coin' on are good; it's possible like all human relationships, that you aren't compatible.  Our job is to introduce you to 'good wines', and your job is to enjoy yourself.  It is in that vein that I say this; "It doesn't make you less of a wine enthusiast to not like a wine".  There are wines that I am not fond of, but that doesn't make them less important.  I'm struggling to like Pinotage(A blend of Censault and Pinot Noir), but droves of people cherish this little South African gem.  It makes my skin crawl thinking of the number of times my servers have come back to me with a perfectly good bottle of wine that someone felt entitled to refuse.  It's not your fault, you thought otherwise, and that's just life.  However if you have read this article, consider yourself advised.  
I love you guys like family, and this is just my way of saying, "Please respect these wines I so cherish".  Like children, all wines need a home, and like all causes they take all kinds.  Do I like Boones Farm?  Lord no, but I know that someone out there does, and maybe one day they'll step up and swing away at something better.  Try it, and in the spirit of my own example-setting, I'll drink a Pinotage tonight.  
   Cam

No comments:

Post a Comment